Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Grenadier: The Beautiful Warrior



Another pretty short-lived, ho-hum show. There are plenty of unremarkable anime like this that come around, last for a little bit, don't have much of a story, and then end and are mostly forgotten. Grenadier would be completely written off as a non-awful but still ignorable action show if it weren't for the protagonist's gender and dimensions.

Grenadier has some decent action scenes and a cool few gimmicks, although it never really excites or surprises. It tries to be funny but usually fails, and most of the more prominent characters are annoying. It's another show that revels in the sexual frustration of the male lead, as whenever he gets close to the girl, the annoying sidekick butts in and ruins the situation. Gee, I sure do enjoy that. The only reason I ever heard of the show is twofold.

1) The main character has ridiculously enormous breasts.
2) She hides her ammunition between them and can cause a full load of it to pop out and fly into her empty revolver at will.

Awesome. She's extremely adept at gunfighting, with lots of crazy techniques and superhuman reactions, but of course she's a nice person at heart and her true goal is to make her enemies lay down their arms with a smile. She's basically Vash from Trigun. Except with gigantic breasts. Also, she's 16. Isn't it great how Japan sexualizes young girls like that? There are a lot of jokes and exaggerated animation revolving around her proportions and those of similarly endowed allies and foes. I'm not sure why stuff like this, that relentlessly teases the male audience, is so popular. I just find it gets grating. Still, despite the generally annoying nature of the show, it's not a bad watch if you're bored. Just don't actually expect anything good.

This marks the 31st time I've posted in July. That's right, I updated every day for a whole month. I hope you're as impressed with how consistently I waste my time as I am.

No comments: