Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Best Albums of 2019

I listened to 77 new albums last year, which is a personal high for me. Believe it or not, narrowing that down to ten is hard! I think what I put together is a good representation of the kind of stuff that gets to me these days.

Best of 2019

10. Thom Yorke - ANIMA


I've been a fan of Radiohead for years but never listened to Thom's solo work. ANIMA is great, and I probably like it more than the band's last couple albums. It's really not too different from what you'd expect, but his weird little songs always have something that makes them unique.

9. Angel Olsen - All Mirrors


None of Angel's albums seem to sound too similar to each other, yet they all seem like parts of her, and they're all really good. On All Mirrors she goes in more of an art pop direction, and it's a shift that works as well as anything else she's done.

8. Tyler, the Creator - Igor


Tyler's career progression has been fascinating. He started with basically the hip-hop equivalent of shitposting and now he's doing like synthy funky soul pop stuff. A really fun album to listen to.

7. (Sandy) Alex G - House of Sugar


Sometimes I like music that just worms its way inside your head and pulls you into a trance while you're listening to it. Alex G does a great job of doing just that.

6. FKA Twigs - Magdalene


I thought this album had more dynamically entertaining songs than her first, without damaging the fragile beauty that seems to define her. Not to sound corny but she is a true artist.

5. Little Simz - Grey Area


Simz is one of my favorite new hip-hop artists in a few years. Normally I'm not into UK hip-hop, but she's incredibly talented and there are so many songs here that hit really hard.

4. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!


I had never actually really hard what Lana Del Rey sounded like before this, and it turns out I think I really like it a lot. She covers a Sublime song and it totally fits into the album's sound. But the album's sound is still this bigger and grander thing that stretches beyond what most artists seem to strive for. Great stuff.

3. CHAI - Punk


This is a Japanese power pop all-girl band and they kick all kinds of ass. Sometimes they mix some English into their lyrics, but you really don't need to understand what they're saying to love these songs.

2. Big Thief - U.F.O.F.


Big Thief actually had two very good albums this year, but I liked this one a little more. The singer's voice instantly etches itself inside your brain, and this is some of the best folk rock guitar work I can remember hearing.

1. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow


This album is fantastic. Sharon is a truly talented singer and songwriter, and this album has an amazing mix of indie rock and synth pop sounds along with her beautiful voice and heartfelt lyrics.

Delayed Entry

This is the best album that wasn't released in 2019 but I didn't hear until then.

Fishmans - Long Season

I could chill with this album all day long. A Japanese dream pop album with sparse but beautiful vocals, a pleasant vibe, and a recurring riff that will never leave your head.

No comments: