Friday, October 19, 2007

Game Update 5: PSN Demos

So I've played a bunch of game demos for the Playstation 3 through their online store, which is really a good way to let people know what's coming soon. Here are my brief thoughts on all of the ones I've played, with the note that it's not a judgment on the final game, just whether I liked the demo.

Bladestorm - I don't get it, it looks like it should be a third person hack-and-slash with troops at your disposal, but all you can do is command them with no attacks of your own.

Clive Barker's Jericho - The visual style and premise is kind of cool, but the basic shooting gameplay isn't that fun and I'm tired of timed button presses.

Conan - There's some hilarious over-the-top violence, but the game itself looks and plays horribly.

Dynasty Warriors: GUNDAM - Combine two of the most-milked franchises from Japan to create something that's not very interesting or fun.

Folklore - A little linear in design, but it looks nice and it's fun to yank out souls.

Genji: Days of the Blade - I liked the demo of the original PS2 game, but the basic hack-and-slash just feels off. Also, GIANT ENEMY CRAB.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - I couldn't find very much actual gameplay in the limited time I had, just magically moving around benches and playing a marble game.

Heavenly Sword - Pretty awesome looking, not a fan of the timed button presses again but the sword combat is fun.

Major League Baseball 2K7 - Hitting is too hard, but I like baseball.

Motorstorm - I don't play many racing games but this one seemed pretty fun.

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction - I love the PS2 games, and this convinced me quickly they're going back to the greatness that was the series pre-Deadlocked.

Resistance: Fall of Man - I didn't like it at first, I'm not a fan of the slow-moving bullets and the apparent difficulty, but after skipping the first level, I got through the second and then went back and beat the first. Good looking, fairly fun shooting.

The Simpsons Game - For a game that makes fun of stupid game design, they shouldn't use it as a crutch so much. Not funny, either.

Skate - I love this, for some reason. The complex controls make it much more satisfying and believable when you pull off something cool, and video editing is nice.

Stranglehold - Completely over the top, basically Max Payne on speed. Lots of fun shooting and doing ridiculous things in slow motion.

Tom Clancy's GRAW 2 - Tactical shooters don't interest me much, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground - The basic play mechanics are still pretty good, but after Skate, they just seem less compelling. Also, the writing, animation, and voice acting in the cutscenes were all terrible.

No comments: