Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Walking Dead, Volume 5: The Best Defense



I know I said they were filming a pilot for a series already, but apparently that was just preliminary stuff, and now they're actually going to do it. Robert Kirkman likes Frank Darabont's script, and I'm intrigued to see if it gets picked up for a series. Still got a lot of catching up to do with the book though. This was possibly the best volume yet, and again, it had little to do with zombies. The whole crisis is definitely getting to some people, as what seemed to be solid friendships break down and a few seem close to really cracking. The biggest thing though was the introduction of what is really the story's first significant villain, and he sure is a bastard. Say what you will about the undead and their flesh-eating ways, they aren't sadistic and creepy like this guy is. It's almost too over the top even for a post zombie apocalypse tale, but in a way I do believe that that environment could create a person like that. It's pretty brutal stuff, and I'm definitely going to keep my reading spread out like I have, because it's a fascinating setting but not one that's easy to visit. I knew it was only a matter of time before the zombies became only part of the problem, but I've never seen man's own inhumanity just thrown at me so effectively.

No comments: