Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life Stinks



Life Stinks is that rare thing - a Mel Brooks movie that isn't a parody. His first big hit, The Producers, fits this description, but he mostly made a name for himself by poking fun at various films and genres. Of course, changes of pace are always welcome, but unfortunately Life Stinks has a problem that The Producers didn't - it's not very good. There are a few good jokes sprinkled around, and both Lesley Ann Warren and Jeffrey Tambor turn in quite good supporting performances. The comedy in general is hopelessly dated though, it hardly seems like it's trying for laughs some of the time, and it's pretty hard to believe it actually came out as recently as the nineties. I don't blame Brooks for trying, and there are some bits here and there that made me feel I didn't totally waste my time, but it's pretty clear for the most part that he was reaching for the scraps of what was left of his creative output. He managed two more parodies after this that I haven't seen, though I haven't heard terribly good things. Brooks is possibly my favorite comedy director, so it's a bit sad to watch him flounder like this. And it's even harder to dislike the movie when its spirit is so positive. Bums ain't bad people! Life itself can be a wonderful thing! Yay!

No comments: