Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Running Man



How can you not like Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies? Especially during his prime in the 80's to early 90's? They're great. I don't care how stupid and over the top they are, few things are more basely entertaining than watching Arnold kill bad guys and pop off one-liners. The lines here are as cheesy as it gets, especially one that I'd put in his top five of all time.

"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god damn spine!"

I love it. He starts out simple with his answer to the bad guy's offer of a nice TV deal, but then keeps it going as best he can, and manages to squeeze three separate physical threats into a single sentence. Good stuff.

From a pure action standpoint, The Running Man is pretty weak. The fights are pretty short, and they're a little too focused on Arnold finding clever ways to quickly dispatch them instead of interesting combat. It still manages to stay afloat as a movie thanks to the extra humor throughout. In addition to Arnold's lines, there's plenty of other solid jokes coming in from the bad guy, his minions, and all the people in the audience. The science fiction story taken from a book isn't amazing but it creates an interesting setting and set of circumstances for the characters, and adds to the enjoyment. I'm a little disappointed with some of the choices made around the end, but it's still quite a fun movie, and should be seen just to witness Arnold with a beard.

No comments: