Friday, March 28, 2008

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 6



Compared to the show's past, the sixth season isn't quite at the same level. It's still funny, it's just that there are some noticeable differences in character which bothered me a bit and they messed with the normal relationship dynamics. This is fine in a show that's purpose is telling a story, but in a sitcom, the familiarity of the setting is usually comforting, and most of the changes didn't improve anything. On the first point, Larry's always been a little rude when common courtesy didn't make sense to him, but he never really did anything that bad on purpose either. He seemed to get in trouble more often in season six, and the things he did were often deliberate and out of character. Would Larry really steal flowers from a roadside memorial to help apologize to someone? I'm supposed to like a protagonist who does things like that?

The two storylines in the sixth season are the Davids taking in a black family (who happened to be named the Blacks, leading to a few uncomfortable moments) that was left homeless by a hurricane and Larry's wife leaving him after the straw that breaks the camel's back. I liked the Black subplot because it brings in one of the show's best characters, Leon, who's always good for a hysterical exchange or two per episode, but I really didn't like the other one. It presented some interesting opportunities for comedy to show Larry back on the dating scene, but the whole second half of the season just seemed to continually pile crap on him (a contrast with the first half) for no reason and the resolution is not what I thought or hoped would happen. It's not that the show wasn't funny anymore, in fact I may have laughed out loud more than any previous season, I just didn't like what was happening so much. We'll see where he takes it if he comes back for another run.

You notice how my posts are always longer when I have something to complain about? Much easier to be wordy when I get bothered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on Season 6. It made me feel rather uncomfortable at times, especially when Larry is eating his ice cream cone while Funkhouser tells him his parent died and Larry just cares about catching the drips with his tongue before they fall.I laughed more at the previous seasosn, this time I was cringing...a lot. I have so many ideas for his show but no way to get them to him.