Saturday, March 14, 2009

Y: The Last Man, Book 9: Motherland



The penultimate volume of the last man on earth's attempt to reunite with his old girlfriend is the most exposition-heavy yet, as we learn a ton about what happened leading up the plague, although it still isn't really clear what exactly caused it. Although what is clear is that that's not the important part, what matters is how society manages to keep going after the fact. Besides the main storyline, there are a couple issues returning to secondary characters from earlier in the series, and those go into how the world is continuing to deal with the loss of half of its workforce, including most of the people with real power. The main story is why I'm reading the damn thing though, and it's a nice mix of bizarre science fiction-esque twists, solidly done action, and genuine human emotion. A couple moments made me roll my eyes, but a few lines also reminded me that the whole thing was written with the tongue at least a little inside the cheek. It's still a really entertaining book, and I couldn't help but tear through the last one before I sat down to write this.

No comments: