Thursday, May 28, 2009

Top Gear - Seasons 10-12



With the last year and a half of Top Gear apparently being available on iTunes, with the most recent two seasons even being the full versions and not the chopped ones shown on BBC America, and them deciding seemingly randomly to put the tenth out on DVD this year, I guess I should talk about this show. If you don't watch it, you should. It's the sort of program that's so entertaining, it transcends its subject matter. I don't know anything or care about cars in the slightest. I can change a tire and check the oil, but that's about it for mechanical knowledge, and I'm not particularly skilled at or interested in driving. I like a good car chase in the movies, but can't really tell any apart or know much about them. Still, Top Gear makes me care while I'm watching it. It's the only non-fictional show I watch regularly, and I anticipate its eminent return with great zeal.

The show works because its hosts are knowledgeable, entertaining, and get along well together. I don't know how much time they really spend together when they're not filming, but while the show's going, they just seem like a few guys having a ton of fun with something they love. Pretty much everything they do is enjoyable. The car reviews are well-written, stylishly shot, and usually feature good music. The news segments are always hilarious. The special races are unique and exciting. The challenges from the producers consistently make me laugh harder than anything else on television. The Stig and his various alter egos are badasses. And whenever they have specials in foreign countries, you know you're going to be thoroughly enjoying yourself for the next hour at least. I could take or leave the interviews, but at least they've introduced me to a few other interesting British people. I'm skeptical of the apparently still upcoming American version, but if the hosts can even come close to matching the chemistry between Jeremy, James, and Richard, it will be well worth checking out. In summary: Top Gear is fantastic.

1 comment:

Scott said...

June 21st is the day after my birthday. Almost perfect.