Thursday, April 22, 2010

Origin



So here's the story I'm not sure anyone really needed to know - the truth of Wolverine's childhood and coming of age. I mean, most superheroes have an "origin" story of some kind, but Logan already had one, the Weapon X program that gave him his claws and turned him into what he is now. I guess there's not really harm in knowing more though. Origin is a nice change of pace from the typical Marvel story, and while I didn't love every page of it, it does some interesting things. There's a few twists here and there, and while not every one is palatable, the plot is generally solid and sustains itself despite not a whole lot really happening. I don't like when they changed it so he actually had bone claws all along, but that actually helps makes this story work the way it does, and without that it wouldn't have had the same chance to be effective. I'd rather not tackle the question of whether the antagonist of the story is supposed to be Sabretooth, because Marvel themselves seem incapable of agreeing on the truth behind that whole mess and frankly I've never found the character interesting. The art might be the book's strongest asset, with some nice pencil work and an impressive painted look to the colors that really sell the mood and setting, over a hundred years before the modern day. It's definitely a unique tale within the Marvel canon, and since I have plans to watch all the modern Marvel movies I've missed I can't wait to see how the latest X-Men movie messes it up.

No comments: