Friday, April 9, 2010

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5



Well, here we are again. It's a couple weeks later and I've seen 26 more episodes of this show. If I'm being honest, I'm watching it more to be able to say I did it than because I want to see it all. I'm still enjoying it, but it is a bit chore-like. I'm pretty sure I said this all last time. The funny thing is the original series was easier, because despite being less interesting, it was also less than half as long. I passed the original's episode count in The Next Generation almost two seasons ago, but I still have over 50 left to see. We're getting there, though. The final resolution of Worf's issues with the Klingons was nice. There's a good two-parter featuring Leonard Nimoy as Spock, although it sort of felt like one episode stretched to double length rather than a genuine two part thing. I'd have to say Geordi wasn't quite as lame this go around, and I didn't even despise seeing Wesley again, although seeing him mess up big time was funny. The episode where they get stuck in a loop is a good one, subverting the frustration of seeing the same things happen over again one too many times by throwing a kink into the works that makes a lot of sense. This season's finale cliffhanger was a clear influence on the Roswell episode of Futurama, a sure sign that it's a good one. And hey, no Q episode! I can't say I don't enjoy elements of his episodes, but a break from his antics was definitely welcome. How come I didn't realize until now that Majel Barrett, who was married to Gene Roddenberry and played Nurse Chapel in the original series, plays not only the voice of the ship computer in The Next Generation, but also Troi's annoying, wacky mother? Weird. Anyway. Star Trek is Star Trek.

No comments: