Friday, April 16, 2010

The Sarah Silverman Program - Season 3



I've enjoyed both this show and Demetri Martin's the whole time they've been airing. They're the only worthwhile things Comedy Central has developed in years, which is why it was distressing to learn in the middle of the season without warning that they'd been pushed from their previous time slots to after midnight. Apparently they've been starved for ratings enough that the channel saw more profit in airing reruns of the previous night's animated series than new episodes of two really funny shows. It makes their bids for renewal look tough, so we're probably seeing the final episodes here.

It's a shame too, because while I thought the second season of Sarah Silverman was still funny but not as good, it was every bit as awesome this year as it's ever been. Again, nothing's untouchable, as Sarah learns that she was born a hermaphrodite, accidentally murders people and blames it on Home Alone, gives acid to senior citizens, and accidentally brings some Nazis to a Holocaust memorial. On occasion I laughed as hard as I ever have, and it was consistently enjoyable throughout. My favorite episode was probably "Just Breve", which actually has very little of Sarah at all, but the culmination of the robot story is one of the best things I've ever seen on cable. I won't give up on the show until it's officially dead, but unfortunately I don't think there's much hope.

No comments: