Friday, May 28, 2010

Lost - Season 6



What you got out of Lost's final season depended on what you wanted. People have always been intrigued by all the mysteries and twists that have kept them wondering what's really going on, but the creators have insisted for a while that the series is really about the characters. I was just hoping for a good end to the story, and I ended up pretty pleased with what I got. Yeah, I would have liked the opportunity to know more about all the strange things on the island, and in a way it's lazy to introduce all these elements and then just forget about them. But what was more important than answering every question was making a show that was fun to watch, and Lost was very successful in that way. The writing, acting, and direction was top notch for a TV show, it was funny and touching, it had more standout moments than any series rightly deserves, and they found a way to end it that was both fitting and expected.

It's sort of the end of an era for television. It's hard to imagine a new show with its scope getting greenlit by a network these days, and while other shows have had bigger audiences, few if any have had one so dedicated and committed to it. It's like the biggest cult hit ever. It's hard to say how many people gave up along the line, but quite a few stuck it through all the way, and they were rewarded with something unique and memorable. There was quite a it of misinterpretation of the ending going around, but those who can actually pay attention and listen to words know what really happened. It could be a long time before anything like this comes along, but in the mean time it's worth appreciating what the show was, and what it meant. It wasn't just a show, it was a whole pastime for some people. I never spent as much time theorizing and examining past episodes as a lot of them, but when it was actually on it was always a highlight of my week. It's sort of weird to think that there's no more Lost coming, but I know it won't be too long before I'm watching it all again, seeing what actually makes sense now and what never will.

2 comments:

spy gear said...

I also intend to watch it all again because I think I missed something LOL.

The end made no sense to me at all. The island and all that happened was all real??? What?

The "slide sideways" was really a place they all went as each of them died?? What?

The end with the way the smoke monster just turned to flesh and blood and was EASILY dispatched...really??

I would have preferred to find out they were all dead the whole time as no one survived the original crash. The island could have been a testing ground for souls before they head in the direction they will head all determined by their actions on the island.

Instead we get "it was all real". So what was the light? How did this electromagnetism cause people to turn to transport from one place to another as what happened to Ben.

Sooooooo many holes in this story. I said in a previous post that when I watch TV I do it for entertainment only. But this show made you think. So I did. Now I am disappointed beyond belief.

Shame on them!

Adrenaline said...

I think the island being an afterlife or something would have been a terrible cop-out. Different strokes I guess.