Friday, June 18, 2010

Ex Machina, Book 2: Tag



I sort of forgot what I liked about the first book in this series when I decided to finally pick up the second, but it became pretty clear again as I was reading. It's well written, and the story does a lot of different, interesting things. It conveys politics in a unique way, not really focused on an ideology but just getting to the heart of the less cut-and-dry issues. It likes to flash back to Mitchell's super hero days and tie it into whatever messed up shit is going on currently, with the more action-focused stuff being a lot darker and more intriguing than I'd expect based on the general focus. Mitchell's a really good character, and definitely helps carry the book. His power is unique and makes for some really clever, fun situations, and he's just a likable, enigmatic person. I still don't like the overly posed nature of some of the art, but it's mostly a nice looking comic. I'm probably going to try to catch up on The Walking Dead before I read any more, but I am enjoying it.

No comments: